November 8, 2012
PUBLIC HEARING FOR THE PRELIMINARY BUDGET FOR 2013 is opened at 7:00PM by Supervisor Garretson.
Dennis Laughlin questioned why is the Health Center expense not equal to the revenue? Supervisor Garretson’s reply is in a perfect world this would happen, however, the budget is set up this way because there are years were expense and revenue are very close, however, the budget is set up this way because some years the two line items are not close and Supervisor Garretson would rather err on the side of caution.
Mr. Laughlin’s other question is why is the Community Center Custodian paid more than the Community Center Director? Supervisor Garretson stated that is an interesting point. He will take a look at it and perhaps this should be readjusted in the future.
Andy Minnig asked if the budget year is a fiscal year or a calendar year. Year to date how are we doing in terms of the expenses and revenue at the Health Center? Supervisor Garretson stated it was budged $27,000 expense over revenue. Mr. Minnig is asking how any significant loss is recovered? As the Health Center is supported by Cherry Valley Town taxpayers, yet the Health Center is used by many individuals who do not live in the Town? Supervisor Garretson stated if the fees are kept where they should be those line items, revenue and expense, should balance out. Councilperson Barown states that the Health Center is complicated because it is not it’s own entity, and he refers to the Town Attorney present, Lynn Green, to explain how the State regulations play a role in the Health Center financial budget in terms of reimbursements from insurance such as Medicare. Reimbursements can roll over from quarter tot quarter. For example if the Health Center actually made money the Medicare reimbursements would be less.
There is a motion made by Councilperson Barown to close the Public Hearing and seconded by Councilperson Laughlin, all in favor the Public Hearing is closed at 7:20PM
TB meeting November 8, 2012
The regular meeting of the Town Board of Cherry Valley was held on Thursday, November 8, 2012 with meeting called to order at 7:20PM by Supervisor Garretson.
Pledge to the Flag was said
Roll call of Officers was taken:
Tom Garretson Supervisor P
Mark Cornwell Councilperson P
Jim Johnson Councilperson P
Chris Barown Councilperson P
Ed VanDerwerker Highway Superintendent P
Tracy Laughlin Councilperson P
Mary Beth Flint Town Clerk P
Town Attorney Lynn Green is in attendance.
Reading of last months minutes will be dispensed of and minutes accepted as presented.
Any corrections can be made to the Town Clerk.
Presentation of invoices and payments:
000 Voided Check #9348
000 Voided Check #9344
000 Voided Check #9349
381 Cherry Valley Hardware $26.14pd
382 DCH Enterprises $799.35pd
383 Verizon Wireless $102.59pd
384 RL Parsons $1,163.77pd
385 Cintas Corporation #121 $244.08pd
386 Ferrell Gas $125.15pd
387 Postmaster-13450 $44.00pd
388 Richoh USA Inc. $87.00pd
389 Cornerstone Telephone Company $404.54pd
390 Bassett Healthcare $27,412.64pd
391 National Grid $822.51pd
392 Medical Arts Press $200.00pd
393 Gifford Paving Company $13,360.00pd
394 Hummel’s Office Plus $162.74pd
395 State Comptroller $2,410.00pd
396 Excellus BC/BS $140.20pd
397 Time Warner Cable Business $74.95pd
398 US Postal Service $272.00pd
399 Ferrell Gas $117.75pd
400 Rury’s Food Store $194.15pd
401 Public Goods Pool $766.00pd
402 Richoh USA Inc. $37.50pd
403 William T. Ryan Associates $821.90pd
404 Postmaster $164.00pd
405 Richoh USA Inc. $37.50pd
406 Hughesnet $64.99pd
407 CDPHP Universal Benefits $658.74pd
408 Otsego County Assessors Association $45.00pd
409 RBS Inc. $250.00pd
Item 1 (39-48)
Item 3 (143-157)
Councilperson Cornwell made a motion to accept the invoices and payments as read Councilperson Johnson seconded the motion. The invoices and payments have been presented and accepted. All in favor 5 yes 0 no. Motion carried.
Presentation of Invoices and Payments:
• Budget reviewed as well as NBT Account balances.
• Building maintenance is up due to the parking lot pavement at the Community Center and the Court Room renovations. Councilperson Barown asked about the Storm windows for the gym? Supervisor
• Garretson will contact Jeff and ask what the plan is for the Storm windows.
• Supervisor Garretson pointed out the NYS Snow and Ice is very low for this time of year. Supervisor Garretson will check on this to see if we have not received a check yet from the State.
• Councilperson asked what franchises are? Supervisor Garretson stated this Time Warner Cable.
Miscellaneous Information presented to the Town Clerk by Supervisor Garretson is as follows:
• Town share of monthly County sales tax collected for the month of August 2012 is $8,963.18
• Dog Control Officer’s report for the months of April-October, 2012
• Received a Thank you letter from the Cherry Valley Firemen’s Auxiliary
• Voided checks. There seems to be issues with both the Supervisor and Town Clerks printers not feeding properly
• Delta Road Protection Program Update flier
Community Center/Alden Fields and Park:
• Estimate for the pitched roof project is still pending
• Men’s “co-ed” basketball as well as biddy basketball will be starting
• Many compliments on having the Community Center available for events. People very thankful the Community Center exists and appreciates all everyone does for the Center.
• Seasonal to Limited Use Roads Procedure update. Supervisor Garretson asked Attorney Green to get him a copy of the Local Laws used in other Townships.
• Supervisor Garretson talked with Ray Parsons regarding propane and the comparison price for Parson’s and Paraco, Paraco was cheaper so we will be staying with Paraco
• Councilperson Barown asked about Ferrell’s propane price since we are using them for the Health Center, Supervisor Garretson is waiting for the first bill from Ferrell since the first fill up is usually free or included in the hook up.
• Recyclable update flier.
• Councilperson gave an update on the EPIC update at the Community Center. Waiting for an estimate from Jeff for the electrical work.
• Town and Village board minutes online @ cherryvalleyny.us
• The condemned building on Main Street is finally down.
• The bridge is completed on Route 166.
• There was a question how much the Town paid the County for the Delta Road Use Law and the amount was $8,500. Attorney Green stated that was for the Local Law.
• Tavis e mailed Supervisor Garretson regarding a meeting on November 15; Supervisor Garretson does not recall what the meeting was for.
• Councilperson Barown started writing a report on the Comp Plan; however, it is not complete at this time.
• Highway Superintendent sent in $62,000 for CHIPS from the State and this check should be coming in next month.
• Truck is in the works.
• Beth Rosenthal could not attend tonight’s meeting.
Resolution 2012-5 Otsego County Snow and Ice Contract for 2013 is presented by Supervisor Garretson.
PROPOSED ACTION: Agreement for the Control of Snow and Ice on Otsego County Roads in the Town of Cherry Valley commencing Jan1st 2013 and ending December 31st 2013.
Motion made by Councilperson Barown to accept Resolution 2012-5 as presented, seconded by Councilperson Laughlin. Roll call vote is taken Supervisor Garretson-yes Councilperson Cornwell-yes Councilperson Barown-yes Councilperson Laughlin-yes Councilperson Johnson-yes. 5 yes 0 no. Resolution 2012-5 County Snow and Ice Contract for 2013 is duly carried.
Supervisor Garretson presented the Preliminary Budget for 2013 for adoption.
Motion to adopt the Preliminary Budget for 2013 as presented is made by Councilperson Barown and seconded by Councilperson Johnson.
There are no questions or comments from the public present:
Mr. Minnig wanted to go on record with his complaint about his neighbors Dog Rescue Operations and the noise from dogs barking can be intrusive sometimes. Mr. Minnig has tried working with the owner and this problem has been going on for several months.
Motion to adjourn-Councilperson Barown Seconded by Councilperson Cornwell
There being no further business meeting adjourned at 8:07pm.
Mary Beth Flint, Town Clerk
Town Board minutes were recorded.
November 8, 2012