DRAFT ONLY TB MEETING January 14, 2016
The regular meeting of the Town Board of Cherry Valley was held on Thursday, January 14, 2016 with meeting called to order at 7:10PM by Supervisor Garretson.
Pledge to the Flag was said
Roll call of Officers was taken:
Tom Garretson-Supervisor P
Jim Johnson-Councilperson P
Chris Barown-Councilperson P
Mark Cornwell-Councilperson Excused
Holly Waterfield-Councilperson P
Mary Beth Flint-Town Clerk P
Reading of last months minutes will be dispensed of and minutes accepted as presented.
Any corrections can be made to the Town Clerk.
Presentation of invoices and payments:
1. Time Warner Cable Business $79.95pd
2. Mary Beth Flint $60.00pd
3. New System Gym Floor Cleaning System $424.58pd
4. Hummel’s Office Plus $110.40pd
5. RICOH USA Inc $37.50pd
6. RICOH USA Inc $87.00pd
7. Public Goods Pool $281.00pd
8. Quill Corporation $407.85pd
9. Cherry Valley Hardware $34.96pd
10. Tri-County Communications Inc $179.10pd
11. The Daily Star $61.01pd
12. RL Parsons Inc $1,016.42pd
13. Cintas Corporation #121 $152.02pd
14. Cornerstone Telephone Co $451.01pd
15. Village Photography $460.00pd
16. RBS Inc $250.00pd
17. William T Ryan Associates $1,010.53pd
18. Paul Hatzinger $1,600.00pd
19. State Comptroller $2,443.00pd
20. Time Warner Cable Business $74.95pd
21. Constellation Newenergy Inc $367.26pd
22. Casella Waste Services $49.22pd
23. National Grid $794.26pd
24. Gates Cole Associates $615.00pd
25. Otsego Electric Cooperative Inc $49.99pd
26. Public Goods Pool $346.00pd
27. Swish Kenco LTD $42.90pd
28. Bassett Healthcare $36,648.81pd
29. Bassett Healthcare $38,655.45pd
30. RICOH USA Inc $37.50pd
31. Quill Corporation $74.04pd
32. CDPHP Universal Benefits $1,276.98pd
000 Voided Check 11400
000 Voided Check 11443
Item 1 (1-3)
Item 3 (1-15)
Item 4 (1-4)
Councilperson Johnson made a motion to accept the invoices and payments as read Councilperson Barown seconded the motion. The invoices and payments have been presented and accepted. All in favor 4yes 0 no. Motion carried.
Presentation of Invoices and Payments:
• Budget reviewed as well as NBT Account balances.
Misc. information to the Town Clerk:
• Sales tax for the month of DEC $5,509.36
• Treasurer of Otsego County Snow & Ice $4,066.86
• Treasurer of Otsego County Mortgage Tax $10,560.31
• Cherry Valley Children’s Christmas Fund donation $1008.00. Money raised during this year’s softball tournament for the purpose of helping with the refinishing of the Community Center gym floor.
• SPCA contract with the Town for Animal Control
Community Center/Alden Fields and Park:
• Biddy basketball is going well
• Fund Raising Dinner coming up on Jan 30
• Woodsman Wood Chopping Competition coming in Feb 13
• Town and Village board minutes online @ cherryvalleyny.us
• Supervisor Garretson asked Village attorney Dennis Laughlin if he and the Town Attorney, Will Green, have been in contact regarding where we stand on the Gates Cole issue. Councilperson Barown stated he had proof read through the document and he printed 3 hard copies; one copy can be filed with the County, one copy will be mailed to Gates Cole and one copy for the Town record. Then the Town waits to hear back from Gates Cole to see if they will accept the appraisal performed by Paul Hatzinger or go to court. The Town Attorney, Will Green, is going to make it very clear Gates Cole would not be getting any back taxes back and they should accept the appraisal presented. If Gates Cole does not accept the appraisal then the matter will go to court.
• Motion made by Councilperson Barown to appoint Lorraine Bosma to the Planning Board and seconded by Councilperson Waterfield 4 yes 0 no
Community Facilities Corp:
• February 6 there will be a sweetheart dinner.
• Councilperson Barown stated the recent auction co-hosted with the Chamber of Commerce and it was a big success.
• Fire Department is asking for a list of seasonal roads.
Resolution 2016-1 Annual Organizational Meeting
Annual Organizational Meeting of the Cherry Valley Town Board
The Cherry Valley Town Board Meetings will be held on the 2nd Thursday of the month and will be called to order at 7 pm.
If the Town Board is unable to meet on the 2nd Thursday of the month, they will meet on the 3rd Thursday of the month.
Town Board members will begin review of the invoices and payments no later then 6:30 pm on the night of the town board meeting.
96 hours prior notice will be allowed to the Supervisor for consideration of a topic or presentation to appear on the monthly Town Board meeting agenda.
The Rules of Procedure for the monthly Town Board meeting are as follows:
Call to Order
Pledge to the Flag – (all are requested to stand)
Roll Call of Officers
1. Minutes of the last Monthly Meeting are on file with the Town Clerk
2. Presentation of Monthly Invoices and Payments
3. Monthly Budget Review and NBT Account Balance Review
4. Misc. Information to the Town Clerk
5. Community Center / Alden Fields and Park
6. Misc. Information and Updates
7. Health Center
8. Town Facilities
9. Community Facilities Corp / Old School
11. Town Planning
12. Highway Department
13. Federal / State / County
Public Questions, Comments, and Concerns….….2 minute limit per request
Contact information for the Town Supervisor is as follows:
Tom Garretson - Supervisor - Town of Cherry Valley
356 Mill Road - Cherry Valley - NY - 13320
Home Office and Evening Phone: 607-264-9045….. (7pm to 9pm is best)
The Town Supervisor will serve as the Town Budget Officer.
The Budget Officer is authorized to pay employees, insurance, utility, communication and any other due invoices prior to the review and approval of the town board.
The Budget Officer will provide all paid invoices with attached check stubs for monthly town board audit review and approval.
The Budget Officer will provide proof of any voided, damaged or destroyed check.
The adopted 2016 budget for the town $1,830,845
The adopted 2016 tax levy for the town $903,985
Included in the adopted 2016 Town Budget, are the following budgets:
The Cherry Valley Health Center Budget $505,000
The Cherry Valley Fire Department Budget $91,865
The Cherry Valley Community Center Budget $33,990
The Town Clerk will stamp all Resolutions, Local Laws, and Payment Acceptance Agreements with the Official Town of Cherry Valley Stamp.
One copy of each stamped document will be provided to the Town Supervisor.
Appointed and elected paid positions that are vacant will be advertised in the official town newspaper with a request of letters of interest sent to:
Tom Garretson - Town Supervisor - 356 Mill Road - Cherry Valley - 13320
The following positions have been appointed, reappointed and /or reemployed for 2016
Town Health Officer Maureen Kuhn
Registrar of Vital Statistics Mary Beth Flint
Deputy Town Clerk Kevin Flint
Deputy Supervisor Amy Garretson
Town Attorney Will Green $6,414
Town Assessor Kassandra Cade - Laymon $8,888
Dog Control Officer Jarid Johnson $3,384
Town Historian Susan Miller $354
Town Tax Collector Dorothy Johnson $2,475
Community Center Director Mary Beth Flint $3,900
Community Center Custodian Bob Loucks $4,090
Health Center Cleaner per hour $11.75
Health Center Office Manager per hour $16.00
Town Highway Employees per hour $16.70
Town Highway Overtime per hour $25.05
Court Clerks per hour $11.75
Part Time Employees per hour $11.75
Swim Instructors per day $25.00
The following are elected paid positions for 2016
Town Supervisor / Budget Officer Tom Garretson $12,019
Town Clerk Mary Beth Flint $10,252
Town Councilperson Jim Johnson $2,805
Town Councilperson Mark Cornwell $2,805
Town Councilperson Chris Barown $2,805
Town Councilperson Holly Waterfield $2,805
Town Superintendent of Highway Ed Vanderwerker $49,050
Town Justice Fredy Herr $10,302
Town Justice Michelle Wickwire $10,302
The following institutions and organizations will receive monetary contributions in 2016
Cherry Valley Emergency Squad $250
Cherry Valley American Legion $500
Cherry Valley Library $10,000
Cherry Valley Museum $10,000
Cherry Valley Firemen’s Auxiliary $100
Cherry Valley Fish and Game Club $250
Cherry Valley Fire Department – Company No. 1 $250
Sharon Springs Silver and Gold Seniors $100
Roseboom Area Senior Citizens Club $100
Cherry Valley Facilities Corporation – Town Clerk Office Rent $2,700
Cherry Valley Massacre Reenactment Fund $1,000
The Official Town Newspaper will be The Daily Star.
The Official Town Bank will be the Cherry Valley branch of NBT
Town business travel reimbursement will be $0.55 per mile
A Petty Cash fund in the amount of $200 is granted to the Town Clerk.
A Petty Cash fund in the amount of $200 is granted to the Superintendent of Highways
The Superintendent of Highways is authorized to purchase equipment and replacement parts prior to the review and approval of the town board, not to exceed $3,500
The Superintendent of Highways will provide the Supervisor with overtime hours per highway employee no later then 4pm on Wednesday of the payroll week.
The Town Supervisor will provide the Community Center Director with an annual budget and provide monthly updates of revenue and expense.
The Cherry Valley Community Center Director will be responsible for organizing and conducting an annual meeting with all parties involved with the use and maintenance of the Community Center and Alden Fields.
The Town Supervisor will serve as Chairman of the Cherry Valley Health Center Board.
The Town Supervisor will provide the Cherry Valley Health Center Board with an annual budget and provide monthly updates of revenue and expense.
The Board of Assessment Review will consist of the following paid individuals with terms expiring on the following month and year
Brian Haig September - 2017 $250
Louis Guido September - 2018 $250
Edward Harvey September - 2019 $250
The Town Planning Board will consist of the following non paid individuals with terms expiring on the following month and year
Julie Barown September - 2016
Howard Young September - 2017
Marion Holmes September - 2018
Tracy Donovan-Laughlin September - 2019
Lorraine Bosma September - 2020
Russell V. Flint September - 2021
Carolyn Minich September - 2022
Tavis Austin – Principal Planning Consulting Services will provide the Town Board and the Planning Board with services as needed.
The 2016 fringe benefit package for full time town employees is as follows
2 weeks vacation for 1 to 10 years of service
3 weeks vacation for 10 to 20 years of service
4 weeks vacation for 20 or more years of service
12 holidays - can be used on a floating basis – no carry over
5 personal days - can be used as needed - no carry over
10 sick days - can be used for sickness only - maximum carry over of 180 days
Medical, dental and vision insurance coverage after 6 months of employment
Cintas work clothes provided daily to the highway department employees
Op-Out Health Insurance Program is available - proof of other health insurance coverage is required - op-out payment is based on the single package contract rate premium for the year.
Disability payment to employee is $510 / wk
Death benefit - payable to the estate of the employee is $100,000
Motion to adopt Resolution 2016-1 Organizational Meeting made by Councilperson Johnson and seconded by Councilperson Barown. Roll call vote is taken: Supervisor Garretson-yes Councilperson Johnson-yes Councilperson Brown-yes Councilperson Waterfield-yes 4-yes 0-no Resolution 2016-1 is duly carried.
Question and comments by the public present:
Motion to adjourn-Councilperson Johnson Seconded by Councilperson Waterfield. There being no further business meeting adjourned at 7:43pm.
Mary Beth Flint, Town Clerk
Town Board minutes were recorded.
DRAFT ONLY TB MEETING January 14, 2016